Painting Images with Dyes
One or Two Day Workshop
This workshop is designed to teach students how to paint with Procion dyes on cotton. Learning to control the dyes will be emphasized. Among other things, we will cover blending, layering, special effects and painting without bleeding, while using no resists. All of these techniques can be used to create images as complex as portraits or as simple as a line on a scarf. Each student is asked to bring two or three 18"x 20" designs or drawings that they will transfer onto cloth and then paint. These drawings can be as simple as drawings from a coloring book because we will mainly be concentrating on how to apply the dyes. Students will leave with a painted piece that could be worked into a vest, quilt or pillow top.
Students are Asked to Bring:
- Two or three 18" x 20" drawings or designs (there will also be drawings on hand to choose from)
- white synthetic round brushes used normally for acrylic / watercolor painting - U.S. sizes 0, 2, 4, 8, 12 (I will have enough brushes available for sale for all the students who prefer to buy them directly from me. The brushes I sell are specific to the type of work I will be teaching).
- 4 large white plastic trash bags to put over and under your dyed pieces (please don't bring scented or textured trash bags!)
- Sharpie black magic marker (medium one)
- 2 - 3 light Prismacolor pencils (ex: light blue, light peach, light green, etc. - no yellow). Any type of Prismacolor pencils except Verithin or Water Color
- scotch tape
- 6 plastic teaspoons
- notebook and pencil for note taking
- 1 large zip lock bag (1 - 2 gallons)
- extra sheets of drawing paper
- rubber gloves (ex: kitchen rubber gloves)
- an empty film vial with top
- paper towels
The Teacher Will Provide:
- white cotton cloth already dipped in soda ash
- Procion dyes and all other chemicals needed to dye paint
- face masks
- deep well palette
A lab fee of $35.00 (one day), or $40.00 (two days) will be charged to cover the cost of the supplies provided by the teacher.
- For 2 day class: table space with enough room for each student to work comfortably, (2 students per 8'X 2 1/2' table).
- For 1 day class: we don't use tables. Chairs can be set up in 2 semi-circles facing the front of the classroom.
- Three extra tables for demonstration and supplies.
- Room must have adequate lighting and ventilation.
- This class can be taught in a space without water facilities.
- A 10' X 8' wall (or equivalent space) to hang class samples and example work. The Guild should provide some way to pin work on wall space (foam core, insulation boards, bulletin boards, etc.)
- 2 -3 quilt racks or quilt stands
Maximum - 20 students per class
- Teaching Fee: $800.00 per day (6-7 hours, limit 20 students)
- Lab Fee: $35.00 (one-day), $40.00 (two-day)
- Travel Costs: all travel costs including coach airfare, airport parking, tips, taxi, shuttle or other ground expenses
- Food and Lodging: all food and lodging must be provided
Fees valid for all contracts signed before 12/31/2018.