Modern Mola Magic
5 day workshop
Class description: Learn a fun and SUPER EASY method to make a “Modern Mola”. Bring your old jeans or use corduroy, wool, ultra-suede and upholstery fabrics to create a beautiful and unique wall quilt! Since this technique uses raw-edge zig-zag, there are no seams, no turning under. You can choose to make one of my patterns or design your own. We will also explore color and lots of quilting techniques to enhance your top!
*This is an Intermediate Level workshop that requires basic machine quilting skills.
Scroll down to see some students' samples
modern mola magic samples
Students are Asked to Bring:
• Sewing machine in good working condition that can do both a zigzag stitch and free motion quilting + feet for a zigzag stitch and free motion quilting
• 3-4 pairs of deconstructed jeans/denim, different colors/values - a variety of very distressed to some darker blues is great - remove and bring the seams, zipper, and pockets before coming to class- the idea is to have a variety of denim that can be of any color or shade
• Other types of heavy fabrics like upholstery, ultra-suede, corduroy, and wool if you don’t want to work in denim
• One piece of brightly colored accent fabric (hand-dyes in large color waves work best) - roughly 34" x 42", or 2” bigger than your own pattern (if you are making your own design)
• Cotton backing fabric - roughly 34" x 42", or 2” bigger than your own pattern (if you are making your own design)
• Lightweight to medium batting - roughly 34" x 42", or 2” bigger than your own pattern (if you are making your own design)
• Safety pins for basting
• Seam ripper
• Glue stick
• Scotch Magic tape
• 2 colored pencils (red & white)
• Clear polyester thread like Superior Mono-poly (I will also have thread for sale)
• Quilting threads (40 weight or heavier) in a variety of bright colors (I will also have thread for sale)
• Sharp pointed scissors (Kai scissors work well) - 6" or smaller
• Paper scissors
• Cutting mat and large clear ruler - Note: if you are driving, please bring a large mat and clear ruler that several people can use together, if you are flying and can't fit one in, don't worry about it.
The Teacher Will Provide:
- Quilting and clear polyester thread available for purchase in the classroom
- three extra tables for demonstration and teacher's supplies.
- table space with enough room for each student to work comfortably, (2 students per 8' X 2 1/2' table)
- room must have adequate lighting and ventilation.
- a 10' X 8' wall (or equivalent space) to hang class samples and example work. The Guild should provide some way to pin work on wall space (foam core, insulation boards, bulletin boards, etc.)
Additional Equipment Needed:
- quilt stands
Maximum - 20 students per class
- Teaching Fee: $775.00 per day (6-7 hours, limit 20 students)
- Lab Fee: $8.00 (one pattern)
- Travel Costs: all travel costs including coach airfare, airport parking, tips, taxi, shuttle or other ground expenses
- Food and Lodging: all food and lodging must be provided
Fees valid for all contracts signed before 12/31/2017.