Dye-Paint Your Images / Bring Them to Life With Quilting
three to five Day Workshop
In this workshop, you will first learn how to paint images with Procion dyes on cotton. Learning to control the dyes will be emphasized. Among other things, we will cover blending, layering, special effects and painting without bleeding. All of these techniques can be used to create images as complex as portraits or as simple as a line on a scarf. Each student is asked to bring two or three 18"x 20" designs or drawings that they will transfer onto cloth and then paint. These drawings can be fruits or rounded objects, still lifes, animals or faces. Any image can be used as long as it has been made into an 18" X 20" black and white line drawing. It would also help to have an example or an idea of your color choices. In the second part of the workshop, we will explore new ideas about how to use quilting to enhance the look of your painted cloth. The main objective is to use quilting lines to create depth, texture, tension, or shadowing which will give a new dimension to your quilt. Lines can be inspired by an endless variety of things (nature, architecture, technology, etc.) to add visual interest and reinforce your overall design. Even straight lines can become a design in themselves. You will be working with the images you have painted during the first part of the workshop. This workshop is based on free-motion machine quilting but the design techniques can be adapted to hand quilting. Experience in one or the other is required.
Students are Asked to Bring:
- 3 or 4 18" x 20" drawings or designs (there will also be drawings on hand to choose from)
- white synthetic round brushes used normally for acrylic / watercolor painting - U.S. sizes 0, 2, 4, 8, 12. (I will have enough brushes available for sale for all the students who prefer to buy them directly from me. The brushes I sell are specific to the type of work I will be teaching).
- 6 to 8 large white plastic trash bags to put over and under your dyed pieces (please don't bring scented or textured trash bags!)
- Sharpie black magic marker (fat one)
- Prismacolor pencils (12 or more in a variety of colors). Any type except Verithin and Water Color
- extra sheets of drawing paper
- scotch tape
- rubber gloves (ex: kitchen rubber gloves)
- 6 plastic teaspoons
- notebook and pencil for note taking
- 2 large zip lock bag
- paper towels
- sewing machine (if machine-quilting)
- assorted feet for machine quilting (ex: my preferred foot is a Bernina#24 foot)
- needles, thimbles, etc. (if hand-quilting)
- batting + pins to baste
- extra fabric to back your bats
- an assortment of threads, including metallic
- tracing paper (18"x 20" pieces)
- assorted sizes and colors of batted scrap cloths to practice on
- photographs of water, clouds, buildings, furniture, etc
- empty film vial with lid
Lab fee: $35.00 for 3 day class
$45.00 for 4 day class
$45.00 for 5 day class
The teacher will provide:
- white cotton cloth already dipped in soda ash
- Procion dyes and all other chemicals needed to dye paint
- face masks
- deep well palette
- Table space with enough room for each student to work comfortably, (2 students per 8'X 2 1/2' table).
- Three extra tables for demonstration and teacher's supplies.
- Room must have adequate lighting and ventilation.
- This class can be taught in a space without water facilities.
- A 10' X 8' wall (or equivalent space) to hang class samples and example work. The Guild should provide some way to pin work on wall space (foam core, insulation boards, bulletin boards, etc.)
- A queen or king size 100% cotton batting to hang work on.
Additional equipment needed:
- Quilt stands
- Bernina sewing machine for demonstration
- Digital projector
Maximum - 20 students per class
- Teaching Fee:
- $775.00 per day (6-7 hours, limit 20 students)
- a $35.00 lab fee (3 days), $45.00 lab fee (4 days), $45.00 lab fee (5 days)
- Travel Costs:
- all travel costs including coach airfare, airport parking, tips, taxi, shuttle or other ground expenses
- Food and Lodging: all food and lodging must be provided