Upcycle Your Jeans Into Art
One Day Workshop
Course Description: Get ready to think outside the box. Learn a new raw edge technique and "upcycle" your old blue jeans! We will be combining hand-dyed fabric with blue jeans to create a small wall quilt that is avant-guarde and beautiful. Come join in the fun!
*This is an Intermediate Level workshop that requires basic machine quilting skills.
Students are Asked to Bring:
- Sewing machine in good working condition that can do both a zigzag stitch and free motion quilting feet for a zigzag stitch and free motion quilting
- 4 legs of deconstructed jeans/denim, different colors/values, a variety of very distressed to some darker blues is great - remove seams, zipper, and pockets before coming to class (can bring pockets) - the idea is to have a variety of denim that can be of any color or shade
- One piece of hand-dyed bright accent fabric - roughly 16" x 18"
- Cotton backing fabric - roughly 16" x 18"
- Batting - roughly 16" x 18", lightweight to medium
- 20 safety pins for basting
- Seam ripper
- Glue stick
- Scotch Magic tape
- 2 colored pencils (red & white)
- Clear polyester thread like Superior Mono-poly (I will also have thread for sale)
- Quilting threads in a variety of bright colors (I will also have thread for sale)
- Sharp pointed scissors - 6" or smaller
- Paper scissors
- 4"x 14" (or larger) clear ruler
- Cutting mat - Note: if you are driving, please bring a large one that several people can use together, if you are flying and can't fit one in, don't worry about it.
The Teacher Will Provide:
- Quilting and clear polyester thread available for purchase in the classroom
The Teacher Needs:
- A sewing machine
- three extra tables for demonstration and teacher's supplies.
- room must have adequate lighting and ventilation.
- a 10' X 8' wall (or equivalent space) to hang class samples and example work. The Guild should provide some way to pin work on wall space (foam core, insulation boards, bulletin boards, etc.)
- quilt stands
Maximum - 20 students per class
- Teaching Fee: $775.00 per day (6-7 hours, limit 20 students)
- Travel Costs: all travel costs including coach airfare, airport parking, tips, taxi, shuttle or other ground expenses
- Food and Lodging: all food and lodging must be provided
Fees valid for all contracts signed before 12/31/2016.